Mental and physical addiction to Demerol can develop if it is used for long periods of time. Extended use of Demerol can create a tolerance condition where the medication no longer works at the initial dosage.
The Terminology of Demerol Addiction
- Dependence - the need to maintain administration of Demerol to prevent the appearance of Demerol withdrawal.
- Tolerance - decreased effectiveness of Demerol. Typically entails having to take more Demerol to achieve the same effects.
- Addiction - Demerol dependence and Demerol tolerance in the individual.
The Complexity of Demerol Addiction
- Drug craving and pain
- Rebound pain associated with withdrawal
- Medical procedures in the pursuit of Demerol
Individuals who have an addiction to Demerol frequently
- Request Demerol specifically when at the doctor
- Purchase Demerol from non-medical sources
- Forge prescriptions
- Create contacts with multiple medical doctors and dentists
- Frequent the ER in hopes of receiving a prescription of Demerol